Saturday, August 27, 2011

Ahh, Fall!

Every year, this happens. A chill comes into the air, the leaves start turning, and there's a slew of video games that I absolutely must have. This year seems to be particularly amazing. Starting in September, there are ten games that I will be purchasing, some immediately, some after a wait. I shall list them here, along with their placement in the pecking order. We start with number 10...

#10- Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Release Date: November 1, 2011

I have never played an Uncharted, despite the fact that I have heard very few ill words about the series. Honestly, Drake has always come off as a "Jersey Shore" douche to me. I keep expecting him to fist pump while showing off his abs. I think I might pick this one up, once the price drops. But then I have to get the two previous games, too. Damn you, Snooki!

#9- Forza Motorsport 4
Release Date: October 11, 2011

I received Forza Motorsport 3 for free, and didn't expect much. I tend to hate driving games. But it was goddamn amazing, and not just because I didn't pay a dime for it. There's not an ounce of story, but it's great to pass the time, so 4 might be worth looking at. Especially if  they have more Top Gear content. Loves me some Stig.

#8-Dead Island
Release Date: September 6, 2011

Now, this is one I'm not sure about. If you read my previous post, you know that I am having an existential problem with zombies right now. However, this game looks like it could be great. Judging from the "small child being thrown out of a high rise window" trailer, it looks like Dead Island is going for a much more emotional and psychological experience than other zombie games. Yet again, I will wait to purchase this one, though. Got to give my pocketbook a break.

#7-Gears of War 3
Release Date: September 20, 2011

I'll be honest with all of you. I think Gears of War is overrated. They're good games, don't get me wrong; but I just don't feel they're as earth-shattering as every single person I know does. But I'm still giving in to the hype machine. 3 looks amazing. I won't purchase it flat out, but I hope to purchase it before Christmas.

#6- Batman: Arkham City
Release Date: October 18, 2011

I love Batman. I love Harley Quinn. I love Arkham Asylum. I love Gotham City. What is there that I won't love about this game? Hopefully, nothing. I would like to point out, though, that Mr. Freeze is in this game. I'm torn on that, because I almost want them to use Arnold Schwarzenegger's take on him. I know it would ruin the game, but goddammit, I can't get enough of the puns! Hoping my wife grabs this for Christmas. Nothing better than to sit by the fire, sipping cocoa and watching the snow fall, all while a marble-mouthed muscle man fumbles with the line "Let's kick some Ice!"

#5-Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
Release Date: September 6, 2011

Goddamn, I love Disgaea. A wonderful strategy game with a hilarious cast of characters. They are hard, too, which I enjoy immensely. This could be because I'm terrible at strategy games, though. This is a game I shall buy on the release date. At least it's only $50. That's cool, I guess. I'm starting to think I need to get a second job.

#4-Dark Souls
Release Date: October 4, 2011

The sequel to the hardest fucking game since the original Mega Man, Dark Souls promises to destroy you. Seriously. The tag line is "Prepare to Die". I can't help it; that's awesome. I am actually prepared to die, shriek at my television, break a couple controllers, and die again. I might be able to sneak this one in as a gift, seeing as how it comes out the day after my birthday. Happy Birthday, Lawson! We got you the most frustrating game ever!

#3-Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Release Date: November 2011

I absolutely worship Assassin's Creed. It combines my favorite things: global, centuries long conspiracies, history, and leaping off of rooftops, stabbing two guys at once, then smoothly parkour-ing away. I call that a Thursday afternoon. This is the end of both Ezio's and Altair's stories, so that makes this a definite purchase. I already have it pre-ordered. Of course, I haven't paid it off yet.

#2-The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Release Date: September 27, 2011

The HD re-release of the two games which, in my mind, definitively ended the "Can video games be art?" debate. I lost my copies, so I have been waiting for this for awhile (I say lost, but I know you stole them, Lucas...I'll see you in your nightmares, you sick freak!). Also, at $40 for two amazing games, it's a great deal.

#1-Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Release Date: November 11, 2011 (Get it? 11-11-11?)

What is there to say about Skyrim? You're probably just as excited as I am. I have this pre-ordered and completely paid off, and am counting down the goddamn days. I'm just ready to make a character that doesn't look like a rock with a badly painted-on face and stab some mastodons.

All in all, that's about $510, without tax. And these 10 are just in the next few months. My wallet will still be in traction by March 6, when Mass Effect 3 comes out (which I also pre-ordered). And I'll probably still be shell shocked when Borderlands 2 finally shows up. I think I need to take out a loan.

No comments:

Post a Comment